I think I’ve found one of my favorite days! Today is National Hug Day or National Hugging Day is an annual holiday occurring on January 21. The holiday was founded on January 21, 1986 in Caro, Michigan. Of all the things that make me feel all googly inside hugging wins hands down.
As parents we hug our children often to express our love and care for them. And sometimes they don’t even want it. I know my teenager gives me a side hug now but he used to be such a great hugger. Ahhh I miss those days. Hugging helps us relieve tension and relax. Have you ever had one of those hugs after a bad day and you just sunk in the persons arms? All of the bad days effects were just sloshing away. Never go a day without hugging.
Whether you like a bear hug, side hug, cheek hug, heart to heart hug, today is the day to show your love.
In researching the day I found some interesting and notable FACTS about hugging!
1. When we hug another person, our bodies release oxytocin, a hormone associated with “happiness,” thus giving us a HAPPY sensation.
2. Hugs improve our game!
3. Hugs strengthen the immune system.
4. Hugging relaxes muscles. Hugs release tension in the body. Hugs can take away pain; they soothe aches by increasing circulation into the soft tissues.
5. Well hugged children become less stressed adults. Want to do something for future generations? Hug them when they’re still little.
6. Hugging your partner will help you BOTH strengthen your relationship.
7. Virginia Satir, a respected family therapist claims, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”
So if you see me today prepare to be hugged! If you see someone you know give them a hug! Lets make this a love, happiness, and hugs!